Woman killed in Highlandtown home; witness escapes captivity

Lukasz Szkiluk has been arrested and charged with first- and second-degree murder in the shooting death of his wife, Karolina Szkiluk.

A Highlandtown man shot and killed his wife early Saturday morning, police say.

On Saturday, June 29, at approximately 3:26 a.m., police responded to the 200 block of S. Haven St. and found a woman with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to police.

The woman, who was found inside a home, has been identified as Karolina Szkiluk, age 38.

Arrested and charged with her murder was Lukasz Szkiluk, 63. His residence is listed as the 200 block of S. Haven St. Szkiluk has been charged with first- and second-degree murder, as well as assault and firearms charges.

According to police charging documents, the original 911 call came from a second female witness who had been held captive by Szkiluk at the residence. The witness reportedly told police that she had come to the residence and had some drinks with Szkiluk, before he allegedly told her he wanted her to take care of some things while he visited family in Poland.

The witness recounted that Szkiluk then pulled out a silver handgun, pointed it at her, and forced her upstairs, where she was tied to a bed, according to the court documents.

While she was tied to a bed upstairs, the witness reportedly heard Szkiluk’s wife, Karolina Szkiluk, enter the residence and talk to her husband. The witness then heard a “pop,” according to the court documents.

She told police that Lukasz Szkiluk then came back upstairs and told her, “I did it.” The witness reported that he then untied her, bound her hands with duct tape, took her downstairs, showed her his wife’s body, and took her back upstairs and tied her to the bed again, according to the court documents.

She reportedly fell asleep, and when she woke up, she ascertained that Szkiluk had left. She chewed her way out of her bounds and called the police.

According to police reports, Lukasz Szkiluk had fled in a green Ford Expedition, and was stopped and arrested in the 200 block of S. Grundy St.

Leave a Comment