Pet Care: Holiday Safety for your Pets

Written by on December 23, 2015 in Featured, Pet Care - No comments

PetCare_WEBiconTinsel & Ribbons: Tinsel and ribbons are not specifically toxic, but can be very enticing to pets especially cats. If ingested, they can become a foreign body and obstruct the intestines. Sometimes they can thread from the stomach through the intestines  which is known as a linear foreign body, which may require surgery.

Holiday Lighting: Decorating your home with lights might expose your pets to more electrical wires than they are used to. If they were to chew on wires it could cause electrical shock, tongue/mouth lacerations, and possibly death. Keep extra wiring out of reach or taped down.

Ornaments: Be careful using glass and aluminum ornaments/decorations on your tree. They can shatter if knocked off the tree or chewed on. The broken pieces can get stuck in the pads of your pet’s feet or cause lacerations of the esophagus or GI tract if ingested.

Christmas Tree: Make sure to put the tree in a safe location and possibly anchor it to prevent it from being knocked over. Also, the water from the tree stand may contain bacteria that can cause GI upset, so prevent your pets from drinking from the stand.

Holiday Plants: Mistletoe, Holly, Poinsettias, and Lilies are all considered toxic if ingested. Mistletoe causes cardiovascular problems, shock, GI upset, and possible death. Holly can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Poinsettias cause GI upset and lilies can cause kidney failure in cats.

Holiday Candles: Don’t leave lit candles unattended. Make sure they are secure and on a stable surface to prevent pets from knocking them over and causing a fire.

New Year’s Eve Safety:

Wear them out! Try to play and wear out your pets prior to festivities. It could help them sleep through loud celebrations like fireworks.

Safe space! Keep your pets in a quiet and familiar place to reduce the stress from noisy celebrations.

Fireworks! Make sure your pet has an ID tag on or if your pet is microchipped, make sure it is registered. Pets can bolt and hide while trying to escape from the loud sound of fireworks.

Party Pets! Make sure that alcohol, festive foods, and decorations are out of reach. Alcohol and certain foods are extremely toxic. Make sure all decorations are out of reach. Alcohol and certain foods are extremely toxic. Decorations, if eaten, can cause an obstruction in your pet’s GI tract.

By Adriene Buisch

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.