Pet Care: Thanksgiving Day safety for your pet

Written by on November 25, 2015 in Featured, Pet Care - No comments

CharmCityVet_LOGO2webAs you enjoy your Thanksgiving feast, it’s important to be aware about the food that isn’t healthy for your pet to consume. Below is a list of the most common and dangerous food.

Turkey:
Although turkey is a lean protein, the skin, excess fat, and bones are a health hazard to your pet. The skin can hold many different oils and spices that can upset your pet’s GI tract. Also, any excess fat can lead to pancreatitis. Any meat bones can splinter and become a choking hazard for your pet.

Onion and Garlic:
Alliums such as onion, garlic, scallions, and leeks are extremely toxic to your pet. They can cause the destruction of red blood cells, anemia, and gastroenteritis.

Sage:
Sage contains essential oils and resins that are poisonous. It causes stomach upset and depression of the central nervous system. Cats are extra sensitive to this herb.

Nutmeg:
Nutmeg is used to spice up holiday sweets like pumpkin pie or sweet potatoes. If ingested, it can cause seizure and central nervous system damage in your pet. In extreme cases, it may even cause death.

Grapes and raisins:
Raisins might be used in holiday breads, muffins or there might be grapes with your wine and cheese appetizer, however they are toxic to your pet. They can cause kidney failure, long term kidney disease, and potentially death.

Other items to avoid:
-Mushrooms
-Corn on the cob
-Aluminum foil, twine, toothpicks
-Chocolate
-Butter
-Salty foods

With this knowledge, you and your four-legged friend can have a very healthy and happy Thanksgiving.

By Adriene Buisch | Charm City Veterinary Hospital

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.